Open homes are one of the most effective ways of marketing a property and attracting interest from a wide variety of buyers.
Some of the many advantages are:
You have plenty of time to ensure your property is tidy and ready for inspections
You can control the viewing times
Open homes can create plenty of activity, even in a slow market
Interest and activity can trigger urgency with buyers
The sales consultant's time is put to best and most effective use, and they will have the opportunity to talk to numerous people about your property
Comments from open home visitors can provide feedback on price, presentation, sales appeal, etc.
If you choose to go with an open home, there are some simple steps to make the process go as smoothly as possible and achieve the best result. Your sales consultant will do all the marketing necessary to attract the maximum number of visitors to your open home, but it's the seller’s responsibility to present their home in the best possible light.
Here are 10 quick tips on how to make your property “open home ready”:
1. Declutter – an overcrowded room looks unappealing and smaller than it actually is.
2. Keep decorations simple and don’t display family photographs. You want buyers to visualise their own things and family in your home, not yours.
3. Make each room count. Give each one a purpose so that your viewers can see how they could use it. Don’t leave any room as a storage place.
4. First impressions count and last. Think about the first aspects that potential buyers will see – like fencing, the letterbox and the driveway.
5. Remember the small things. Check light switches to make sure they work. Fix any doors or cupboards that don’t close. Fix leaky taps.
6. Open doors connecting living spaces, especially those opening to an outdoor living area.It will give a sense of space and help viewers imagine how they can take advantage of the space in their daily life.
7. Fresh flowers and soft music playing in the background give a good impression.
8. If cold outside, have a fire going or heaters on. In summer, try to keep the house to a comfortable temperature.
9. Fresh coffee on the stove, vanilla in a slightly warm oven or on a hot element, or aromatherapy oil burners give a very inviting smell and can sweeten stale and musty homes. If your home smells good and looks clean you are creating a great environment for viewers.
10. If you can, give your walls a fresh coat of paint. Choose neutral colours to avoid individualising your property too much.